HLC Liaison Visit
On Thursday, January 28, Linnea Stenson, Vice President for Accreditation Relations and AQIP Director for the Higher Learning Commission, visited NMSU to meet with the team members writing our Assurance Report and to conduct two open forums intended to help members of the NMSU community understand our upcoming Assurance Review. All her sessions were well attended and it was a pleasure to have the opportunity to better acquaint Dr. Stenson with NMSU prior to our assurance visit in November of 2017.
General Education Taskforce
On Friday, the General Education Taskforce met to discuss and identify the skills that every graduate of NMSU should possess. During the course of a thorough discussion, the following skills were identified:
- Communication skills (oral, written)
- Cultural awareness (diversity)(multicultural literacy)(global awareness)
- Ethical reasoning (social responsibility) (ethical literacy)
- Critical thinking/logical reasoning/problem solving/scientific method / creativity
- Team based learning, Collaborative skills
- Information and digital literacy/Research skills
- Quantitative skills/numerical competence (numerical literacy)
- Interdisciplinary skills, ability to see connections between different areas of knowledge
- Qualitative Skills
Members of the taskforce were encouraged to discuss this list of skills with faculty members in their departments and colleges. At our next monthly meeting, the taskforce will discuss feedback received, revise the list on the basis of the feedback, and discuss the question of what content (or subject matter) should be mastered by all NMSU graduates.
Santa Fe Alumni Reception
On Friday evening, I had the pleasure of spending time with a wonderful group of alumni at the Eldorado Hotel. Andrea Tawney, Leslie Cervantes, Tina Byford, Terra Winter, and the rest of the Dream Team at the NMSU Foundation put together a great program highlighted by terrific food and drink, and great Aggie spirit.