Activity Report for Week of September 17 – September 23

• I chaired the meeting of the Statewide General Education Steering Committee on Tuesday, September 20, in Albuquerque. At the meeting we discussed learning outcomes for five essential skills and six content areas.  We agreed that most of the learning outcomes are ready for posting on the Steering Committee Website and for review by faculty members from across the state.
  • The following day, the Chancellor and I participated in the Governor’s higher education press conference at NMSU. The Chancellor discussed a variety of initiatives underway at NMSU, including Transforming NMSU and the implementation of meta-majors.  I discussed general education reform and the number of degree programs at NMSU that have moved to a 120 credit hour requirement.
  • On Thursday morning, I welcomed the Science, Technology and Telecommunications Committee to NMSU. During the course of my remarks, I briefly described the administrative re-structuring of NMSU, statewide general education reform, meta-major implementation, and the Aggie Pathway to the Baccalaureate.  I then focused on major grants awarded to NMSU in the course of the previous week.  After my prepared remarks the committee questioned me about the impact of potential state budget cuts to NMSU, research collaborations with the University of New Mexico, and the importance of the Solar Observatory to the region and the nation.  It was a good exchange and I very much appreciated the clear goodwill of the committee toward NMSU.
  • On Friday, I traveled with a contingent of NMSU administrators to Albuquerque to attend the Governor’s Summit on Higher Education. At the summit, we discussed degree attainment in the state, the potential for greater centralization of New Mexico’s system of higher education, and the importance of higher education to the economic development of the state.  The summit closed with break-out sessions designed to identify the strategic goals of the New Mexico Higher Education Department over the course of the next several years.

This entry was posted in Activity Report. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.