Activity Report for Week of October 8 – October 14
- On Monday, Chancellor Carruthers, Senior Vice President for Administration and Finance Throneberry, and I attended an Employee Council Open Forum to discuss the implementation of the new Federal Labor Standards Act requirements. The major concern of employees was the pay gap that would be experienced by employees moving from exempt to non-exempt. Although NMSU will provide no-interest loans to help employees bridge this pay gap, some employees feel that more and better options should be developed. We agreed to meet with the Executive Committee of the Employee Council and work together to develop a plan with more options.
- Later in the day, I attended a promotion and tenure question and answer session at the Teaching Academy. In my presentation prior to opening the floor to questions, I emphasized the importance of:
- A concise and well-organized promotion and tenure file
- Presenting multiple forms of evidence regarding teaching effectiveness
- Helping reviewers understand the significance of research and/or creative activities
- Demonstrating good departmental citizenship and positive contributions to local and professional communities
- At the end of the week, I welcomed the College of Health and Social Services donors at their annual scholarship reception. It was a pleasure to thank donors for their generosity and to acknowledge the importance of scholarships in the success of our students. Financial concerns top the list of reasons that students leave NMSU, and strong scholarship programs, such as the one found in the College of Health and Social Services, provide badly needed assistance to very worthy students.
This entry was posted in Activity Report
. Bookmark the permalink
. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post
Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.