Activity Report for Week of April 29 – May 5

• On Saturday, April 29, I had the pleasure of hosting a dinner for the first group of Osteopathic Medicine Pathway Students at NMSU. This is a group of first-year students who have been assured of admission to the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine, as long as they maintain a prescribed GPA, and participate fully in the program.  It was a pleasure to spend time with this talented group of students.  My wife, Dr. Jenifer Lichtenfels, joined us and she led a very wide-ranging discussion on various aspects of medicine and medical training.
  • On Monday, I met with OIE Director Lauri Millot, and with Drs. Cynthia Bejarano, Patti Wojahn, and Manal Hamzeh to discuss sexual harassment at NMSU and how to create a safer environment on campus. Messaging is important, as is training, and we will work with the Chancellor, and many others, on both in the coming months.
  • Later in the day, I met with the University Research Council, to discuss research at NMSU and how to improve the research atmosphere and research productivity. It is important to re-establish an in-house grants program, which will happen in the coming months. The focus of the program is likely to be inter-disciplinary research that crosses departmental and college lines.
  • I spent Tuesday at a meeting of the Statewide General Education Steering Committee. During the course of the meeting, we discussed the WICHE Passport and whether our current curriculum model is consistent with the Passport (it is pretty close).  We also re-visited the curriculum model as some members of the committee would like to see a stronger essential skills focus.  In the end, no changes were made, but the concerns of these committee members are certain to inform ongoing discussions.  We also put the finishing touches on learning outcomes for content areas and essential skills. We will soon ask, once again, for input on the curriculum model and the learning outcomes from the faculty of the institutions of higher education in New Mexico.
  • Late Wednesday afternoon, I hosted the Promotion and Tenure Reception for the faculty in the NMSU system who were promoted and/or received tenure this spring. It was a very happy event for all.
  • Later that day, I attended a reception at La Posta for administrators and counselors from Doña Ana County school districts. The event was graciously hosted by Regent Jerean Hutchinson.  I extend my thanks to her for suggesting that we hold the event and for her generosity in hosting the event.  Bernadette Montoya and her staff did a wonderful job of organizing the event.
  • On Thursday, I attended the final Faculty Senate meeting of the academic year. As usual, Faculty Senate Chair Chris Brown did a marvelous job of keeping the senators engaged and the legislation moving forward.  At the end of the meeting, it was noted that Senate had passed a record number of propositions this academic year.

This entry was posted in Activity Report. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.