Activity Report for Week of March 10 – March 16

On Tuesday, March 13, I had the pleasure of meeting our University Speaker, Luis Urrea, and his wife, Cindy. They are a delightful couple, and Luis gave a wonderfully engaging talk about the characters in his book, “Into the Beautiful North”, later in the evening. The book is the Big Read for NMSU this spring and I encourage everyone to set aside some time and enjoy a story that truly resonates for those of us who live in the borderlands.

On Wednesday morning, I met with our incoming Vice President for Research, Dr. Luis Cifuentes. Dr. Cifuentes is a seasoned researcher who thoughtfully led Texas A&M Corpus Christi through an expansion of its research enterprise. I believe he has the vision and leadership skills to lead NMSU through a research expansion, as well.

On Thursday morning, I had the honor of welcoming Cacique Patrick Narvaez, and other members of the Tortugas Pueblo, to NMSU to bless the opening of the 14th J. Paul Taylor Social Justice Symposium. The annual symposium reflects the strong commitment of the faculty of NMSU to social justice and the enduring legacy of J. Paul Taylor, one of the true treasures of our community.

This entry was posted in Activity Report. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.