What would general education in New Mexico look like if we could design it from the ground up?
- We would start with the question of outcomes: What transferable skills and content knowledge should all graduates leave their institution with?
- We would develop a streamlined curriculum with greater emphasis on acquisition of transferable skills valued by employers and essential for lifelong learning.
- We would include careful assessment to ensure that we are meeting outcomes.
We would get there by asking:
- Faculty to drive this effort: they are the experts in curriculum, and their contributions to any efforts at education reform are critical.
- Students to contribute to the conversation: we need to understand what they are seeking in a college education.
- The Higher Education Department to facilitate this state-wide: HED has responsibility for general education across New Mexico, and they represent the interest of New Mexico and its people.
- Assistance from Chief Academic Officers at every institution of higher education in New Mexico: their assistance is required to ensure that this effort is informed by faculty teaching general education all over the state.
Itinerary for Input Sessions
|Date||Time||Institution and location||Location|
|Monday, Oct. 2||7:30–9:30 am||San Juan College
Henderson Fine Arts Center Room 9008
|Monday, Oct. 2||4:00–6:00 pm||New Mexico Highlands
Highlands Student Center, Room 322, 800 National Ave.
Link for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android: https://nmhu.zoom.us/j/503246906
For assistance, call 505.454.3391
|Las Vegas and online|
|Tuesday, Oct. 3||7:30-9:30 am||Santa Fe Community College
Health and Sciences Building Room 485
|Tuesday, Oct. 3||11:30–2:00 pm||University of New Mexico
Student Union Building Ballroom A
|Monday, Oct. 16||9:00 am–11:00 am||NMSU-Carlsbad
Main Building, Room 101
|Monday, Oct. 16||2:30 –4:30 pm||Eastern New Mexico University
Jack Williamson Liberal Arts (JWLA) Building, Room 112
|Tuesday, Oct. 17||8:00–10:00 am||New Mexico State University
Corbett Center Student Union Senate Chamber
Online at https://nmsu.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=338dae45-45d9-46fd-8977-2204e2c19208. Questions taken at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Las Cruces and online|
|Tuesday, Oct. 17||2:00–4:00 pm||Western New Mexico University
Seminar Room, third floor, Student Memorial Bldg
|Tuesday, Oct. 3||5:15–7:00 pm||New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology
Location TBD TO BE RESCHEDULED