What would general education in New Mexico look like if we could design it from the ground up?
- We would start with the question of outcomes: What transferable skills and content knowledge should all graduates leave their institution with?
- We would develop a streamlined curriculum with greater emphasis on acquisition of transferable skills valued by employers and essential for lifelong learning.
- We would include careful assessment to ensure that we are meeting outcomes.
We would get there by asking:
- Faculty to drive this effort: they are the experts in curriculum, and their contributions to any efforts at education reform are critical.
- Students to contribute to the conversation: we need to understand what they are seeking in a college education.
- The Higher Education Department to facilitate this state-wide: HED has responsibility for general education across New Mexico, and they represent the interest of New Mexico and its people.
- Assistance from Chief Academic Officers at every institution of higher education in New Mexico: their assistance is required to ensure that this effort is informed by faculty teaching general education all over the state.