Alan R. Shoho, Provost and Chief Academic Officer Monday Message for August 14 | New Mexico State University - BE BOLD. Shape the Future. Skip to main content

Monday Message for August 14

Alan’s Monday Message for August 14th  

Happy 1st week of school everyone! It is wonderful to see the campus so alive again. I want to welcome all our new students, faculty, and staff. I have been looking forward to this week all summer. There is a lot to be optimistic about NMSU’s future. I started last week by walking to the bookstore to get my new parking pass. I encourage everyone to get their parking pass on the 2nd floor of the bookstore before the end of August. Afterwards, I participated in the President’s Executive team and Cabinet meetings. Following this, I had lunch with Ray Ostos, whose daughter is a freshmen majoring in sociology and part of the Folklorico dancing troupe. Roy is a NMSU alum with deep family ties to Las Cruces and I met him through Linkedin. Roy is the District Director for Student Affairs at Maricopa Community Colleges in Phoenix. After lunch, I attended a Deans meeting with Witt Kieffer representatives, Zachary Smith and Melody Rose, the search firm conducting the Presidential search. We shared our thoughts on what we are looking for in a new President. Following this meeting, I had several 1:1 meetings to close the day.  

On Tuesday, I started the day by being interviewed by Richard Coltharp and Mike Cook of the Las Cruces Bulletin. We had a nice conversation about the importance of NMSU and my experiences to date. Afterwards, I had a number of  1:1 meetings and then met with the Deans before lunch. We reviewed a draft of the cultural norms and expectations we are putting together to share with the campus community. We finalized this document and the Deans will be sharing it with their respective college. We also reviewed a funding request form organized by Senior Associate Provost James McAteer and discussed how often we would review funding requests. It was decided we would receive funding request twice a year on October 1st and March 1st. These requests would be funnel through the respective Dean or Vice President prior to reaching the Provost office for review and consideration. Afterwards, Renay Scott and I met with Jennifer Gabel, Stephanie Miller, and Vanetta Busch to learn more about the ALTA program. This is the internal leadership development program delivered by Center for Learning & Professional Development (CLPD) for faculty and staff. As I shared with them, I am gathering information to determine how we can better support Department Heads and develop new leaders.  

I started my Wednesday by going outside and watching the Pride of New Mexico Marching Band practice outside on the Horseshoe. Wednesday was full of 1:1 and small group meetings with direct reports and a zoom meeting with representatives from Academic Analytics. In September, Academic Analytics will be doing in-person training for Deans and other people in the Vice President for Research and other VP level leaders on one day and then subsequently, with Department Heads and other academic leaders on another day. I also met with FBI representatives about some of the work they do including cybersecurity. I ended the day with my monthly dinner with the Deans at the Cattle Baron.  

Members of the Pride of New Mexico at rehearsal.  Members of the Pride of New Mexico at rehearsal in parade block.

On Thursday, I worked on administrative duties prior to meeting with President Gogue and ASNMSU student leaders, President Citlalli Benitez and Vice President Eddie Gallegos. After lunch, I drove to Arrowhead High School with Renay Scott and Danielle Staley to visit with Principal Gabriela Alaniz and her dual credit coordinator, Yvonne Palmer. We discussed ways to create more seamless pathways for Arrowhead students to matriculate to NMSU. Following the visit to Arrowhead High School, I attended the College of Arts and Sciences Department Head retreat at the Las Cruces Convention Center. I shared the singular goal this year is to improve student retention as well as improve the environment where all our faculty and staff feel welcomed and supported. I also shared how we are going to support Department Heads by providing professional development opportunities to help them be successful in their jobs.  

I started Friday morning by having breakfast with VPR Luis Cifuentes and others to discuss the biomed building expansion. Afterwards, I met with our waitlist Associate Deans Joe Lakey, Phil Post, and Daniel James along with James McAteer and Renay Scott to review where we are to start the fall semester. Following this meeting I met with an Apple representative, Aaron Grider to discuss ways to enhance instructional delivery using technology. Subsequently, I drove to Goddard Hall to meet with NM AMP team since I serve as the PI for this initiative. I had more 1:1 meetings and then in the mid-afternoon, I drove to visit Leyendecker for a tour with Program Operations Director, Dave Lowry and Farm Manager, Eric Nez. I am continuously amazed at what I learn about our agricultural experimental science work being done. To end my week, on Saturday mid-day, I helped move students into their dorms at Garcia Hall. It brought back memories of when I helped my son and daughter move into their dormitories. Being on the other side of things, I could relate to how the parents and their freshmen were feeling during this transition time. I could sense the excitement, anxiety, joy, and sorrow associated with parents letting go of their students.  

Dave Lowry and Eric Nez at the Plant Science Center sign.-

Musings from the Provost - Academic Affairs Goal for 2023/24 

Based on my thirty-three years in academe, I have found institutions tend to try to do too much. As a result, this past week I shared with the Deans I want them and everyone in Academic Affairs to focus on one major goal this coming year – it is student/staff/faculty success. In particular, I want the Deans to focus on improving student retention, as well as staff/faculty success. I realize LEADS 2025 has six goals and I encourage the various groups to continue working on their respective goals, however, in academic affairs, I want the Deans, Associate Deans, Department Heads, and faculty to be laser focused on improving student retention. This means I want them to know their own particular students, understand what their current retention rates are for their academic programs, identify any barriers and try to resolve these obstacles to success and/or point our students in the right direction for further support like advising, tutoring, supplemental instructions, etc. We must improve our student retention (72.6%) and 4-and 6-year graduation rates (34%/51%) from their current state and make headway on improving our staff and faculty success.  

Campus culture and climate are everyone’s responsibility 

I read this quote on Twitter recently and I believe this is what it will take for NMSU’s culture and climate to improve. @DrBradJohnson wrote, “The culture of a school is created by everyone in the school. Walk in a school and see how the front office interacts with visitors or the staff /teachers interact in the hallway. Yes, the admin influences culture, but everyone is responsible for a positive school culture.” 

Be Vigilant about Online security 

Please be vigilant about online cybersecurity. If something looks odd, out of the ordinary, please contact IT support to report or verify if something looks strange. Never buy anything when asked to unless you get verbal or F2F confirmation from your supervisor. While technology has simplified our lives, it is flaunt with potential dangers and we must be continuously vigilant.  

NMSU’s Unsung Heroes 

This week, I received two recipients for being NMSU Unsung Heroes.   

Marilyn Crawford (Administrative Assistant, Department of Government) – As Department Head Neil Harvey shared, Marilyn is completing her first year as the Administrative Assistant in the Department of Government. During this time Marilyn has made an outstanding contribution to the department. She is not only meticulous in carrying out daily administrative tasks, but also proactive in addressing the needs of students and faculty. For example, she has updated and made attractive our bulletin boards and display cases in our main classroom, organized and arranged new office space for student researchers and visiting faculty, and oversaw the creation and dissemination of our new department newsletter. She has gone over and above in helping all faculty members in completing multiple tasks, including hiring procedures, conference travel arrangements, and processing of expenditures for two large grants. In all of these and other tasks, Marilyn has demonstrated friendliness, respect, and care for her work and the people with whom she interacts. Thank you, Marilyn, for being a role model and someone who embodies the attitude to improve NMSU’s climate.  

Ramiro “Milo” Reyes (Facilities Tech, Sr.) – As Eric Sanchez, Karen Hamilton, and Mark Garcia noted, Ramiro positively contributed to the turnaround of the PSL facilities department by maintaining a positive and can-do attitude despite a reduction in staff over the last three years. Beginning his career at the Physical Science Laboratory (PSL) August 2020 as a Facilities Tech, Ramiro’s work ethic towards the growth and development in the organization and dedication to PSL has remained admirable. Much of the growth and success of PSL is due in part to the devotion and dedication of capable team members such as Milo. Of most importance is his desire to always act as a cooperative team member and work to create a safe and pleasant environment to all who enter the Anderson Hall complex. He advanced his career at PSL in May of 2022 securing a position as a Facilities Tech Sr. The PSL leadership would like to recognize Ramiro for the willingness to adapt to change and incorporate new and innovative approaches to the maintenance of our unique facility. This requires endless dedication and helps shape the success of the organization. Milo is a great role model for other employees to emulate. 

Kudos 

Congratulations to Dr. Rajan Ghimire for being co-PI of amended National Science Foundation grant award for $3,087,681 for the project entitled, “RII Track-2 FEC: Developing effective adaptation strategies to enhance the resilience of farmers under changing climate.” Two weeks ago, I saw Dr. Ghimire at the Clovis Field Day and saw some of his work involving climate change in action. Researchers like Dr. Ghimire are making a difference for New Mexico and beyond.  

Congratulations to the Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology on their recent Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) reaffirmation for accreditation. The accreditation cycle for the M.S. Clinical Mental Health Counseling specialty area runs through October 31, 2031. 

It is with tremendous honor that Great Minds in STEM announced the selection of their 2023 GMiS Award Winners. The Award Selection Committees and the Deans of Engineering from USC and CSULA have named Dr. Patricia A. Sullivan as a 2023 GMiS HENAAC Award Winner for Community Service. Her passion to serve as a model for women and to inspire youth from underserved communities greatly impressed the award selection members. Congratulations Patricia on this outstanding award.  

Kudos to Dr. Cory Windorff, assistant professor of inorganic chemistry. He is one of 93 early career scientists across the country selected to receive a combined total of $135 million in research funding from the U.S. Department of Energy for a wide range of topics. The 2023 Early Career Research Program awardees represent 47 universities and 12 DOE national laboratories. Windorff’s grant is among a handful received through the Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR). The DOE funding will provide $875,000 over the next five years to support Windorff’s research proposal titled “Probing Electronic Structure in Actinide-Transition Metal Nitride Clusters.”