Alan Shoho, Provost and Chief Academic Officer Monday Message for November 6 | New Mexico State University - BE BOLD. Shape the Future. Skip to main content

Monday Message for November 6

Alan’s Monday Message for November 6th  

Good Monday morning Aggies! Homecoming week started with the President’s executive meeting. Following this, I had a small group meeting to prepare for a NSF meeting with the Division Director for Astronomical Studies later in the day. Afterwards, I attended the high wait list meeting prior to attending the Department of Communication Disorders meeting. After lunch, I attended the President’s cabinet meeting before participating in a NSF meeting with Jason Jackiewicz and James McAteer. It was a very productive meeting and I sensed a positive reception by NSF to NMSU’s outreach to steward and support the Sunspot telescope. I ended my day with a meeting to discuss faculty titles and appointments with Faculty Fellow Becky Corran. This was an initiative started by the previous Provost, so James McAteer and I wanted to gain a better sense of where this works stands and what needs to be done.  

Tuesday was filled with a number of 1:1 and small group meetings. At midday, I attended the Employee Appreciation luncheon at Preciado Park. It was a great turnout with many people in their Halloween costumes enjoying fellowship with their colleagues from across the campus community. I was honored to recognize Jessica Munoz with the R. Crouch Memorial Award. This award is an annual cash award to honor a living current or former employee of NMSU for outstanding contributions to the life of the university community. Congratulations Jessica for your work and dedication to the STEM Outreach Center. I also want to recognize Joann Thomas, Joseph Almaguer, and Karen Montoya for being nominated. In the afternoon, I met with Diana Molina-Barragan to review the Provost’s budget. Following this, I participated in an online meeting with all the Conference USA Provosts. We are launching a Conference USA faculty award. I will be working with the Deans and James McAteer to outline a process using Conference USA criteria for identifying a faculty member who will represent NMSU for the Conference USA Award.  

Individuals stand in their Halloween costumes during the Costume Contest at the 2023 Employee Appretiation Picnic. Provost Shoho and President Gouge stand with members of Employee Council in costume and the pumpkin decorating contest winners at the 2023 Employee Appretiation Picnic.

On Wednesday, I participated in a discussion about tribal outreach with Luis Cifuentes and Clayton Abbey. This was a follow-up to the Navajo Nation President’s visit along with some other developments potentially impacting NMSU. We plan to visit the Navajo Nation sometime in 2024 to explore deeper what kind of partnerships we can create with them. To facilitate this work, I am assembling a task force under the facilitation of EID VP Linda Scholz and Governmental Relations Associate VP Clayton Abbey. Following this meeting, I had a number of 1:1 meetings and then I took a tour with Leslie Cervantes and D’Anne Stuart to look at space around campus before working on administrative issues.

To start Thursday, I attended a breakfast meeting with Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller and his staff along with President Gogue and other NMSU leaders. Following this, I had a 1:1 meeting prior to attending the College of Arts and Sciences Homecoming Carnival outside of Breland Hall. I then went to meet with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Advisory Board prior to going to lunch with Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller and his delegation along with Clayton Abbey and VPRCED Luis Cifuentes and his team at Double Eagle in Mesilla. Following this, I drove back to campus to have a 1:1 meeting before attending the Faculty Senate meeting in Domenici Hall. In the evening, I attended the College of Arts and Sciences Alumni and Distinguished Awards dinner at the Fulton Center. It was a nice event where they recognized four outstanding alums.

Members of NMSU leadership, Mayor Tim Keller, and the mayor's team stand together for a group photo.

On Friday, I started the day by attending the ACES Homecoming Recognition breakfast. After this, I attended the College of Engineering Advisory Board meeting in the Corbett Center. Following the advisory board meeting, I dropped in to listen to the HEST Distinguished Alumni Lecture. Following this, I attended the College of Engineering Council cookout for lunch before attending to some administrative issues. Afterwards, I had a small group meeting before going to the College of Business Alumni reception in Trader's Plaza. In the evening, I attended the Distinguished Alumni Gala at Hotel Encanto.

Members of NMSU Leadership and the College of ACES cut a red ribbon in front of the new college buidlings. Individuals listen to Dean Rolando Flores Galzara at the ribbon cutting of the new College of ACES buildings.

Saturday was full of homecoming activities. I started out the morning with a television interview and promotion shoot with Wave the Wonder dog at the Stan Fulton Center for the American Kennel Club. I was asked how Wave contributes to the campus community and about his relationship with Steve Stochaj. Steve and Wave have a relationship that is difficult to describe in words. There is such synergy, love, and respect between the two of them. Steve often brings Wave to campus on Fridays, so if you see them walking around campus, please say hi. I guarantee it will make your day a little better and bring a smile to your face. Later during the game, the videographer took video of Wave retrieving the kicking tee and how Wave is in inspiration to the crowd. After the interview, I participated in the parade by riding in the back seat of the College of ACES red Cadillac convertible with their Distinguished Alumna, Jeanne Gleason with Rolando and Estela Flores Galarza driving. After the parade, I walked through the Department of Art at Devasthali Hall. Students were displaying their jewelry and creations. After this, I went to my office to do some work before going to the Ag Day and Alumni Tailgate events prior to the football game. I’m pretty sure Associate Director for CES, Allen Malone and his grandson, Jabari missed their calling to replace Pat Sajak and Vanna White on the Wheel of Fortune. They had people in the palm of the hand with steady long lines. During the game, I hosted the Middle Tennessee University Provost, Mark Byrnes and VP for Marketing Andrew Oppmann, whom I met online through our Conference USA zoom meetings. It was great to see all the spirit and positive energy on campus. With positive energy, anything is possible. Homecoming week ended with the football team beating Middle Tennessee University, 13-7. With 7 wins, NMSU became bowl eligible for a second straight year and first time since the 1960s our football team has gone to bowl games in consecutive years. Congratulations to our football team! Below, Clayton Abbey took a picture of his father, David Abbey (former LFC Director) and myself with Coach Jerry Kill during the tailgate festivities.

NMSU Coach Kill talks with the Athletic Director from Middle Tennessee and Provost Shoho. College of Arts and Sciences selects new Associate Dean for Research

Dean Enrico Pontelli made the following announcement last Monday. "It is my pleasure to announce Dr. Michele Shuster has been selected to serve as the permanent Associate Dean for Research for the College of Arts & Sciences. Dr. Shuster joins the Dean's office from the Department of Biology, bringing research expertise in both biology as well as STEM education. She has been serving at the interim Associate Dean for Research since June. We are delighted to be able to include Dr. Shuster as part of the College leadership team and I hope you will joins me in welcoming Dr. Shuster in this new position."

NMSU on the verge of attaining R1

This past Wednesday, Faculty Senate Chair, Gaylene Fasenko shared a Chronicle of Higher Education article about the Carnegie classification that Rebecca Campbell had shared with her. The article projects NMSU becoming a R1 in 2025. This is great news, although it doesn’t change our current priorities. Until it becomes official in 2025, we will focus on our current priority of improving student retention/success to ensure more of our students are retained and graduate within six years.

Please attend one of the December Graduation Ceremonies 

I encourage all faculty to attend the December 2023 graduation ceremonies. As of today, only 25 faculty have signed up for Friday’s graduate ceremony and only 34 have signed up for Saturday’s undergraduate ceremony. This is our student’s most important day – celebrating their accomplishment of earning their undergraduate or graduate degree. We must do better to show how proud we are of our students and to help send them off to celebrate. By not attending graduation, it sends a message to our students, their families, the Board of Regents and our campus community. To sign up to participate in graduation, please use this link.  

Quote of the Week 

Professor of Public Health Jagdish Khubchandani shared this quote with me on linkedin- “Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.” – Eric Hoffer