Alan R. Shoho, Provost and Chief Academic Officer Monday Message for March 25 | New Mexico State University - BE BOLD. Shape the Future. Skip to main content

Monday Message for March 25

Monday Message for March 25th

This is my last Monday message to the NMSU community. I made the difficult decision last weekend to retire from NMSU at the end of the spring semester. My last day, however, was Friday, March 22nd. I came to NMSU knowing of the many challenges that lay ahead. But I saw great potential for this institution as well, and you helped me realize it was not an illusion. There remains great potential and I am satisfied that together we made strides in moving the University forward by making some processes better, improving student retention and preparing the institution for the demographic cliff in two years. I was looking forward to welcoming a new President on board. Alas, this was not meant to be, at least not just yet. When the new President is selected, they will be able to hire their own Provost. And while it has been a tremendous honor to serve as your Provost and Chief Academic Officer, I felt this was the right time for me to begin the next chapter in my life. I want to thank everyone for allowing me to serve NMSU over the past year. In particular, I want to thank Senior Associate Provost, James McAteer and Executive Administrative Assistant, Cindy Garrett as well as all my direct reports during this transition. You made coming to work enjoyable, fun, and rewarding. They are not only good people, who care about NMSU and its future, but they are a good team and can help lead NMSU forward as the demographic headwinds start to materialize in a few years.

Announcements

Diversity Program Directors Dr. Zooey Sophia Sangwanthong and Dr. Rio Lopez have organized a Justice and Revolutionary Thought Conference on March 26th. The conference starts at 2:00pm in the Corbett Auditorium.

Flyer on Justice and Revolutionary Thought Conference 2024.

Quote of the Week

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." - John Wooden