Lakshmi Reddi, Interim Provost and Chief Academic Officer We Are NMSU - May 6, 2024 | New Mexico State University - BE BOLD. Shape the Future. Skip to main content

We Are NMSU - May 6, 2024

We are NMSU

Dear Colleagues, 

I have been asked several times about my objectives during this interim period. Based on the feedback I have received and the initiatives already in progress, here are some of the specific initiatives I am focusing on: 

1. Data coordination is an immediate priority, essential not only for facilitating our assessment and accreditation efforts but also for providing us with the necessary tools to approach every initiative strategically within academic affairs. In addition to proposing this as the new HLC Quality Initiative, we plan to coordinate the various teams involved in data gathering and analysis tasks, and establish a unified channel for data access, insights, visualization, and analytics. 
  2. Strategic recruitment efforts need to begin now to address the looming demographic challenges. Building on discussions intimated by Provost Shoho, we will further explore and operationalize select ideas. 
  3. The ad-hot student retention committee, formed during Provost Shoho's tenure and comprising of Daniel James, Jimi Ickes, Patrick Turner, Phillip Post, and Shelby Herrera, has outlined priorities under faculty development and support, institutional infrastructure, and student support and engagement. I am committed to following through on these ideas and implementing them. 
  4. There is an urgent need to develop a faculty-centric set of initiatives and programming on our campus. I have received feedback from our faculty on these initiatives, which include faculty mentoring/leadership and the establishment of a department head academy. I plan to appoint a faculty fellow or part-time associate provost to assist me and operationalize these initiatives. 
  5. Our Strategic Plan, LEADS 2025, is one of the most comprehensive plans. It is important for us to monitor our progress toward the stated goals and metrics in the six broad goals: 1) Enhance student success and social mobility, 2) Elevate research and creativity, 3) Amplify outreach and extension, 4) Build a robust university system, 5) Build online global campus, and 6) Build, elevate, and strengthen sustainable systemwide equity, inclusion and diversity practices. These goals will be guiding every new initiative, and all of our initiatives will be contributing to one or more of these goals. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my tour of the NMSU Art Museum last week. I extend my gratitude to Director Marisa Sage and Collections Curator Courtney Uldrich for introducing me to the diverse array of artwork housed in Devasthali Hall, including pieces by New Mexican artists, NMSU alumni and students. 

Painting of a man at the US-Mexico border with the "X" sculpture at the Juarez Border Crossing in the background. The painting is entitled "Separated" and is done by NMSU alumna Analinda Gonzalez.Analinda Gonzaelz, an NMSU alumna from the class of 2021, delves into themes revolving around her father's deportation to Mexico and its profound impact on her family. This is vividly depicted in her artwork, particularly exemplified in the piece titled "Separated". 

Watercolor painting of the tops of the Organ Mountain. Painting is done by Vincent Hallett.

Vincent Hallett retired to Las Cruces in 1989. An accomplished painter, he gifted 61 of his own works to the NMSU Permanent Art Collection in 2011. These watercolor paintings depict still lives, portraits, and local scenery like the Organ Mountains. 

While my academic background is rooted in STEM as a civil engineer, I have always held a deep appreciation for the liberal arts. Here at NMSU, we are presented with outstanding opportunities to engage in rigorous analytical and critical thinking. Equally outstanding are our opportunities in humanities disciplines, which "make our hearts sing." We are NMSU.

Lakshmi N. Reddi
Interim Provost
New Mexico State Unviersity